Thursday 15 May 2014

Discussion Post (2) - Book Slump

I've been in a book slump for the past five months.

I read a grand total of six books in January and February combined. This coming from a girl who typically reads between six to ten books a month. To compare, in the same time span last year I read fifteen books (most of which were significantly longer than the ones I tackled this year). That's not okay with me.

I genuinely don't understand how people have the time (and energy) to go to school full-time, work part-time, read, and run a blog. I really have to commend those people, as I clearly failed at half of those things this year.  I can't even imagine throwing a family (or friends, which I do not have) into the mix! Maybe it's the pressure of being in upper-level courses and wanting to get decent grades to eventually get into grad school. I'm not a natural scholar, much as my family chooses to believe otherwise, so it's very difficult for me to get good grades. I have a very short attention span and am very lazy, which is not a great combination. I am also a chronic procrastinator (I pulled at least four or five all-nighters to write papers this semester alone). I know people who work full-time with a full course load, but I am not a person who can operate like that. I get exhausted after sitting through two classes.

I've been reading a lot since I moved home at the beginning of April. In fact, in April alone I read seven books. It's not a huge number, but it's better. I'm feeling better. I've started scheduling posts again and I think that will really help me out. I'm getting back into the swing of things. Alas, I'm still unemployed (I really need to find a summer job ASAP), but at least I'm reading!

How do you juggle your responsibilities?What makes blogging so worth it?

No comments:

Post a Comment