Wednesday 28 May 2014

TV Spotlight Thursda {1} - Teen Wolf

I'm debuting my very first feature! Because I watch so much TV, I thought why not find a way to incorporate that into the blog? I hemmed and hawed over whether I wanted to share my super nerdy, sometimes awful taste in television, but I figure if you aren't judging me too hard already, I should be fine. Plus I get to share my biggest non-book-related obsession with my favourite people! 


Warning: this post contains a LOT of gifs.

This week's spotlighted programme is:
TEEN WOLF

Teen Wolf follows the adventures of a teenage boy who is bitten by and turns into a werewolf. It's pretty self explanatory, right. Teen Wolf: a show about a teen wolf. It features a pretty wide cast of good-looking dudes with minimal chest hair. There are also a handful of really badass ladies who are the true draw (IMO) to the show. Here are some of my favourite characters (like I said, big cast!):

Tyler Posey as Scott McCall
AKA Actual Puppy Scott McCall
Sometimes the show forgets that Scott is the main character because people really love comic relief character and Scott's best friend, Stiles Stilinski. Stiles is great (for the most part) but he's no Scott. Scott is basically a giant puppy dog. He loves everyone and is pretty much the best person in the world. He is so including of others and adorable and lovely. I've recently had my eyes opened the the beautiful person that Scott McCall is. He's pretty much the opposite of an anti-hero. The best thing about Scott McCall: he never judges. He loves you for you.

Holland Roden as (Queen) Lydia Martin
A lot of people say that Holland isn't a very good actor, but I disagree. This may partially be due to the fact that I really love seeing her on my screen week to week, but I really do like her! It's not just because she's pretty, I swear! Lydia is an incredibly strong character. She is crazy intelligent, sex-positive, creative, and all-around badass. She's been through a lot, and she's still holding it all together. I attribute most of Lydia's mental well being to her incredible friendship with light-of-my-life Allison Argent. Her boyfriend, doucheface Jackson Whittemore, doesn't exactly help her out too much.

Crystal Reed as Allison Argent
Allison Argent is pretty much my idol. I'm actually totally in love with her. It took about a season and a half for me to really appreciate her badassery, but OMG she's amazing. THIS GIRL. Where to even begin? First of all, she's a better archer than Katniss Everdeen. Just sayin'. Also, she's a werewolf hunter whose boyfriend is a werewolf. Allison is incredibly strong. She's lost even more than Lydia, but she doesn't let it keep her down. She fights for what she believes in - her friends and her family. Ugh, ALLISON FREAKING ARGENT.

JR Bourne as Chris Argent
Chris (AKA Papa Argent) is Allison's father. He's a veteran werewolf hunter and pretty freaking scary at times. He's also a major DILF. Yeah, I went there... He's a really interesting character. He has a lot of conflicting ideas and feelings about the goings on in Beacon Hills, particularly as they pertain to his daughter. At the end of the day, though, he loves Allison more than anything else in the world.

Gage Golightly as Erica Reyes

Erica Reyes is a horrendously underrated character. She is so strong and brave and wonderful. She becomes part of Scott and Derek's pack in season 2 and her life is completely transformed by her turning. The bite was the best thing that ever happened to Erica in many ways. She isn't my favourite character, but she's a lot better than most of the dudes on this show.

Arden Cho as Kira Yukimura
Kira is a new addition to the show, introduced in season 3B. She brings a host of new mythology to the show. Through Kira, the show has tackled a bit of Japanese mythology, though I don't want to spoil anything! She's a cutie pie - eager, excitable, effervescent. Anymore e-words to describe Kira? I'm not sure. She is introduced as the friendless daughter of Beacon Hills High's new English teacher, and she's adorable from day one. She also has really cute style. I have a few issues with her, but they lie more in the writers than in Kira herself.

My ship: Allydia
MY GIRLS! These two are the best thing that ever happened to Teen Wolf. They're totally not canon, and never will be, but I don't even care. I love them anyway. I READ FANFICTION FOR THESE TWO, OKAY? I don't read fanfiction. Like, ever. I love these two because they're already best friends. Would it be so difficult for them to take that step from best friends to girlfriends? I don't think so. Plus we already have evidence that they are 100% there for each other, no matter what.

I'll admit that I had very low expectations of Teen Wolf when I started watching it. It's not exactly high-brow television. The MTV show tends to be promoted on the basis of its roster of hot, shirtless guys. Not really my thing. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the pilot. I must admit, the first season of Teen Wolf is hilarious. It improves in some ways and deteriorates in others. Though the show gets darker with each passing season, the tonal differences between season one and season three are immense. 

I will let you in on a little secret though: the battle scenes are atrocious. Like, they're comical. The CGI is ridiculous. I firmly believe that this show would be so much better if it didn't have any werewolf battle scenes.


No comments:

Post a Comment