Tuesday 13 May 2014

TTT - Top Ten Books I Almost Put Down But Didn’t

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme created by The Broke and the Bookish
Each week a new topic is given and weeks topic is:


Top Ten Books I Almost Put Down But Didn't

This one was pretty difficult, because I can usually tell within the first 15-20% whether or not a book will be worth my time. I don't usually waste my time on books I don't enjoy in some capacity or another.





Salvage by Alexandra Duncan

I came so close to DNF'ing this one. The beginning was truly difficult to read - the society Duncan creates for her main character is incredibly sexist and the language used on her ship is strange to say the least. The story really blooms around the halfway mark, when Ava goes "planetside" and her incredible personal growth begins.





Feed by Mira Grant 
I just couldn’t get into this book so many times. I actually did put it down multiple times, but kept picking it up again because I knew that it was something that I would enjoy. It took a few tries, but I’m so glad I finished it.







Sweetly by Jackson Pearce 
I liked this book less than the first in the series, Sisters Red. It wasn’t necessarily bad, it just wasn’t my speed. I ended up persisting, but had to DNF the next book in the series after about 10%.






The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin 
I did not like this book. The characters were not engaging and the plot didn’t make up for it. I actually feel like I should have just DNF’ed it, but I’m definitely not continuing the series. 





Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta 

The beginning of this book is SLOW. I knew better than to put it down though, because it’s Melina freaking Marchetta and she is one of the best YA authors out there. It was so worth a little bit of boredom.





The Iron King by Julie Kagawa 
After hearing so much praise for this series and enjoying her Immortal Rules trilogy, I wanted so badly to like The Iron King. Unfortunately, it wasn’t nearly as good as I’d hoped. I’m still planning to continue the series on the hope that it improves. I’m assuming that it was just the hiccups of a debut novel that made it so disappointing. 






Lost Voices by Sarah Porter 
I just keep on reading mermaid books that suck. Is it so much to ask for a good mermaid book? Apparently so. Definitely not finishing this series (and it had such a cool premise)!






My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent 
I listened to this one and it had a decent narrator, so it wasn’t too unpleasant. That said, my first and second impressions of Rachel Vincent’s books have not been great.







Taken by Erin Bowman 
No. This book and I just did not see eye to eye. I couldn’t get past the awful protagonist or the forced love triangle. The mystery was kind of dumb too, imo.






The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman 
The narration style of this didn’t sit too well with me. It just wasn’t that fun to read.









What are some of the books that you were tempted to put down but ended up finishing? Let me know in the comments! 

No comments:

Post a Comment