Wednesday 9 July 2014

Writing Positive Reviews is Really Hard!

I'm generally a pretty positive person. I like to look on the bright side of life. But for some reason, this doesn't always seem to extend to blogging. I've been having a bit of a rough patch when it comes to writing reviews. I'm falling farther and farther behind, and I think I know why: I've been reading too many excellent books!
image
I have a really hard time writing positive reviews. It’s so much more difficult for me to pinpoint the things that make me love a book than it is to point out what makes me hate one. I find that when I read a book that I adored, I put off writing the review for ages and ages. Yet when I read one that I despised, I tend to write the review right away and get all of the nasty thoughts out of my head and onto the metaphorical page (because who writes by hand anymore??). I wish I could better articulate the way I feel about things that I like, because I generally don’t think of myself as a negative person. In life, I’m pretty upbeat and positive and optimistic, but it seems when it comes to reviews I’m a bit of a negative Nancy.
The book that inspired this post is Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour by Morgan Matson, which I finished a few days ago and thought was fantastic, but I have no freaking clue what to write in my review. Maybe it’s because I take more notes on books that I’m not enjoying, whereas if I do like a book I just devour it all as quickly as possible and can’t be bothered to take the time out of my reading to take notes on what in particular is special about it.


How do you feel about this? Do you find writing positive reviews more difficult? Is it harder for you to look at books with a critical eye and pick them apart for a review? Any tips for making positive reviews a little easier for me?!

1 comment:

  1. Writing 3 star reviews is actually the hardest for me. 5 stars are easy and so is 2 and below lol.

    Congrats on the move!

    ReplyDelete