Thursday 5 September 2013

Review - The Eternity Cure by Julie Kagawa


The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2)

The Eternity Cure by Julie Kagawa
Series: Blood of Eden #2
Published by Harlequin Teen on April 30 2013
Genres: Young Adult, Paranormal, Dystopian
Pages: 434
Rating: 4/5 stars
In Allison Sekemoto's world, there is one rule left: Blood calls to blood  
She has done the unthinkable: died so that she might continue to live. Cast out of Eden and separated from the boy she dared to love, Allie will follow the call of blood to save her creator, Kanin, from the psychotic vampire Sarren. But when the trail leads to Allie's birthplace in New Covington, what Allie finds there will change the world forever—and possibly end human and vampire existence. 
There's a new plague on the rise, a strain of the Red Lung virus that wiped out most of humanity generations ago—and this strain is deadly to humans and vampires alike. The only hope for a cure lies in the secrets Kanin carries, if Allie can get to him in time.
Allison thought that immortality was forever. But now, with eternity itself hanging in the balance, the lines between human and monster will blur even further, and Allie must face another choice she could never have imagined having to make.


Damn.

That was quite a book.

I’ve been meaning to sink my teeth into (haha, vampire jokes for a vampire book, aren’t I hilarious??) The Eternity Cure since it was first released, and I’ve been eagerly anticipating it since I read The Immortal Rules just over a year ago. It did not disappoint.

I’m just going to start off with a little tidbit that may inform whether or not you’ll find my review to your liking or not: I don’t like Zeke.

I’m not saying that I dislike him! I just find him a bit… tepid. He doesn’t really do anything for me. This may be partially due to his getting in the way of the badass vampiring I wanted to see Allison do in The Immortal Rules (though I suppose she wasn’t quite ready for that yet), but he just irritates me for some reason.

That said, it’s got to be a pretty good book for me to give it 4 stars when I don’t like the love interest!

Allie is one of my favourite YA protagonists. Lady gets shit done, and I appreciate that. She doesn’t take lip from anybody and she’s pretty deadly with a katana, which gets her bonus points.

If The Eternity Cure had just been the bantering adventures of Allie and Jackal, I would have been a happy camper. Er, reader. I had completely forgotten about Jackal’s role in The Immortal Rules until he was reintroduced early on, and I had to do a big “oooooh” when their relationship was recapped for me (Thanks for that, Julie Kagawa!). Jackal was bar-none my favourite thing in The Eternity Cure. I like smarmy, overconfident man-boys apparently. I think I like Jackal so much because it’s apparent to me that he isn’t to be taken seriously. He comes off as a total parody of all of the vampire clichés out there (Damon from TVD, anybody?). I mean, dude wears a duster.

I was pretty enraged by the end of the book. You know what I’m talking about, but I’m not enraged the way that most people are. I’m enraged because I was really looking forward to seeing Allie break her compassionate streak, and now I know that it won’t last. I really wish the last page or so of the epilogue hadn’t been included in this book. I would have preferred that information be revealed in book 3 (though really, who didn’t see it coming? This isn’t written by GRRM).


No comments:

Post a Comment